|You are a foreign student in course of medicine studies in your home country and you want to make a validating hospital application in France
|Diplomas of specialized medical training (Diplômes de Formation Médicale Spécialisée ; DFMS) Diplomas of additional specialized medical training (Diplômes de Formation Médicale Spécialisée Approfondie ; DFMSA).
The 2009-2010 academic year was the last year in France for the Attestations de Formation Spécialisée (AFS) and Attestations de Formation Spécialisée Approfondie (AFSA) diplomas.
Starting 2010-2011, foreign physicians, other than European Union nationals, Helvetians and Andorrans, who would like to make part of their training in specialized medicine in France can apply for 2 kinds of Diplomas:
- Specialized medical training diplomas (Diplômes de Formation Médicale Spécialisée ; DFMS) .
- designed for physicians, other than European Union nationals, Helvetians and Andorrans who who have a medical diploma which permits them to practice in their home country and are in a training programme for specialized formation.
- the length of the formation cannot be inferior to two semesters, or exceed six semesters.
- Additional specialized medical training diplomas (Diplômes de Formation Médicale Spécialisée Approfondie ; DFMSA).
- designed for physician other than European Union nationals, Helvetians and Andorran, who have a medical specialist diploma which permits them to practice the speciality in their home country, except those who have yet obtained one or more former Attestation de Formation Spécialisée Approfondie.
- The length of the formation cannot be inferior to one semester, or exceed two semesters.
- Training and Hospital rotations are organized similarly to the organization of the French diplomas of Specialized medicine (DES/DESC)
Admission to these training programmes and diplomas is ONLY by competitive examinations that are organized every year in the French Embassies (in March). Applications must be sent in January. The official text presenting the modalities of these competitive examinations can be downloaded here .
The national list of intern/resident positions available in the context of these diplomas, and their location in the French University Hospitals is published every year. For 2010-2011, the list can be down loaded here . Positions will be chosen by rank within successful candidates.
However, to promote specific partnerships, candidates can apply under the “cooperation” system. That is they can specifically apply for resident/intern position in a specific University Hospital. For this purpose, their application must include the 1B file that includes the approval and signature of the Dean of the Faculty and the Director of the Hospital. In any case they must pass the examination.
|French State Diploma of Physician in Medicine
All the foreign applicants, having a diploma of doctor in their home country,
in course of medicine studies in their home country or having a foreign diploma
of end of secondary studies, have to pass the competitive examination of end
of 1 st year of the medicine studies
1 ) and obtain a passing grade in this competitive
they have to fill out a "rotation of preview
admission to the subscription" dossier to the Consulate
or to the Embassy of the home country since the month of December
before the university year of subscription and give it, completed,
to the cultural departments of the Embassies of France before
January 31 st of the year of subscription. http://www.education.gouv.fr/prat/formul/familles.htm
The foreign students or physicians living in France yet with
a permit of stay of one year minima, have to fill out the dossier
of preview admission to the subscription in 1 st year to the
Are not concerned by this procedure :
- French nationals who
have a foreign diploma of end of secondary studies or a foreign
doctorat in medicine
- people with a european
diploma of end of secondary studies or an European doctorat in
In case of successfully passing the competitive examination,
the persons who have a foreign doctorat in medicine or the students
who have yet started a medicine cursus abroad, ask for an equivalence
of the study years, made in their home country to the Ministry
of the National Education. At the end of the cursus, they will
obtain the French State Diploma of Physician in Medicine.
- Terms to practice medicine in France
Faculty of Medicine isn’t responsible for finding accommodations
for foreign students except in some determined cases (see Preparing
methods for visa and title of stay
applicants who live abroad will have to have successfully complete
the preview for entrance and long stay in France, especially
for the obtention of a D visa for long stay (student).
foreign students have to respect the interior regulation of the establishments
into which they practice their activity. They only can leave for official holidays.